Developing Child Custody Arrangements in Colorado: Important Info for Parents

Developing a plan for splitting child custody with the other parent of your child(ren) can be complicated (if not adversarial, especially if these splits are happening as part of a divorce process). There are generally two ways custody splits (which may also be referred to as parent timing splits or arrangements) can be set in Colorado, with these including:

  1. Parents working out a custody arrangement on their own – This can be done via mediation or some other out-of-court setting. When parents can agree on custody arrangements, they can submit their proposal to the family law court, which will review the arrangement and typically approve it.
  2. The courts stepping in to work out custody disputes and determine custody splits when parents cannot come to an agreement.

The latter situation is what we’ll focus on in the following discussion.

How Colorado Courts Resolve Child Custody Disputes

When the Colorado family law courts have to get involved in child custody disputes, serving the best interests of the involved child (or children) will be the primary focus. Some of the specific “best interest” factors that the courts will analyze as part of this process include (and are not necessarily limited to):

  • The mental and physical health of each parent
  • Each parent’s wishes for splitting custody
  • The child’s (or children’s) wishes for splitting custody (so long as the involved children are mature enough to communicate their wishes to the court)
  • Each parent’s willingness to promote a healthy relationship with the other parent
  • How close (or far away) the parents live from each other
  • Whether the child(ren) will have to adapt to a new school or community (if certain splits are granted).

Child Custody Arrangements in Colorado: More Essential Info

  • Modifying child custody orders – As with child support orders in Colorado, child custody arrangements can be modified (i.e., changed) in the future when the needs and circumstances of either or both parents change. Modifications of child custody orders need to be pursued via the court, and grounds for these modifications can include (and are by no means limited to) either or both parents:
    • Moving to a new city, state or country
    • Getting remarried
    • Changing jobs or job schedules.
  • Enforcing child custody order – When one parent refuses to honor a child custody arrangement, going back to court to enforce the order (and possibly pursue punitive action against the noncompliant parent) is typically the best move. In these situations, it’s advised that you consult an attorney to find out more about how to protect your interests and enforce the existing orders.

Contact the Pueblo Attorneys at Gradisar, Trechter, Ripperger & Roth

If you need help resolving a child custody dispute (or any family legal issue), contact the Pueblo attorneys at Gradisar, Trechter, Ripperger & Roth for effective representation, experienced help, and the highest quality legal services.

To learn more about our services and how we can assist you, contact us by calling (719) 556- 8844 or by emailing us using the contact form on this page.

From our offices based in Pueblo, we represent clients in Trinidad, La Jara, Lamar, Walsenburg, Alamosa and throughout the state of Colorado.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *